“The photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts." ~ Walker Evans

Friday, October 05, 2007

One of the 'Betz': Re-Defining Professional Photography

It's not everyday that a "professional" photographer gets to shoot a "professional" sport - such as a Major League Baseball game. When these "professionals" aren't shooting high-intensity events, they can turn everyday objects (such as pasta - everyone knows my obsession with pasta) into photographic masterpieces.

I was perusing around the Internet and ended up sifting through Ed Betz's website. This man has an AMAZING portfolio. I especially admire his sports shots, such as the one of Todd Zeile of the New York Mets sliding into second base against the Boston Red Sox.

I am only 22 and simply am an amateur, at best. I haven't even updated my own website in half a year and have lost a little bit of my motivation to go out and shoot. I wish I could pinpoint the answer to the question, "why?" Perhaps it's because I am in a transitional phase of my life (graduated college, starting a new job, etc.) but I simply cannot find that "spark" anymore.

However, looking through Ed Betz's collection has re-inspired me to go out and continue building my own collection of images.

It doesn't matter whether a photographer uses the new Nikon D3, the Canon MarkIII, or whatever he/she may choose. One's eye for photography and posession of various skills needed to operate the tools re-iterates my belief that these pro-grade cameras are all very good in their own rights.

We, as photographers, need to remind ourselves that nothing in this world is perfect, including dSLR bodies. Most of the excessive pixel-peeping that I often see with any and every camera brand is, quite frankly, a waste of time as one could be devoting such time to take awesome pictures -- like the ones Ed has.


I encourage you to visit Ed Betz's website at: http://www.edbetz.com

No comments: