“The photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts." ~ Walker Evans

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Brighter Side of an Explosion

Eddie Adams, a famous photographer, captured this image of a Vietcong soldier being murdered. Although disturbing, this shot won the Pulitzer prize in 1969.

Anger. Hate. Death.

The cruelties of war stands out in the minds of every person familiar with the term's definition. When the fighting is at a minimal, the more human of emotions from those involved in the fighting, the soldiers and civilians, are often forgotten.

Those who know me know that I have an anti-war stance, primarily because I am naturally a pacifist. But from a purely photographic standpoint, Sergeant Melissa Thornhill successfully captures these diverse emotions hidden in the pools of bloodshed; her gallery showcases a range of emotions including happiness, contentment, and depression. Below are two of my favorites from her album:
Out on missions I get most of my attention from the little girls. They seem so fascinated with me, wanting to explore but afraid to get too close. They often hide behind their mothers and peak out when I'm not looking until they become more comfortable with me. I often wonder which one of us is more fascinated by the other.